'There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.' - Edith Wharton
Contact your regional writers centre. NSW Litlink Regional Writers Centres are:
Books and Journals
- Samantha Schwartz, Australian Guide to Getting Published (Hale and Iremonger, 1995).
Barbara Jefferis, Australian Book Contracts (Keesing Press, 1994).
- Australian Author, Journal of the Australian Society of Authors.
Australian Bookseller & Publisher (Thorpe).
- The Australian Writer' Marketplace (Bookman). New edition yearly.
Australian Publishers Association Directory of Members.
- Umberto Eco, On Literature (Vintage)
John McWhorter, What Language Is (And What It Isn't And What It Could Be)
- Stephen King, On Writing (Hodder & Stoughton).
Robert McKee, Story (HarperCollins).
- Lawrence Block, Telling Lies for Fun & Profit.
- Rhonda Whitton and Sheila Hollingworth, A Decent Proposal.
- Neil James(ed.), Writers on Writing (Halstead).
Grammar and Writing Resources
- A Note on Grammar by Bruce Bysfield
- The Cambridge Guide to Australian English Usage ed. Pam Peters
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- Associated Press Stylebook
- Hodges Harbrace Handbook
- Fowler's Modern English Usage, 2nd Edition, by H. W.; revised and edited by Sir Ernest Gowers (1967) (the non-Gowers attempts at revising Fowler just leave me cold)
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage (1994) (more accessible than Fowler for a lot of people; grammar isn't everything, there's usage to wrestle with too)
- Mark My Words, Peggy Smith
- Proofreading Plain & Simple, Debra Hart May
- Copy Editing, Karen Judd
- Copyeditor's Handbook, A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys, Amy Einsohn
- The Copyeditor's Guide to Substance & Style, EEI
- Stet! And Stet Again!, Priscilla Taylor
- Lapsing into a Comma and Elephants of Style, Bill Walsh
- The Deluxe Transitive Vampire, A Handbook of Grammar and anything else by Karen Elizabeth Gordon
- The Grammar Devotional by Mignon Fogarty aka the Grammar Girl
- The Gregg Reference Manual
- Eats shoots and leaves by L Truss
- The Writer's Grammar Guide, by Janet Walpole (1984)
- Working with Words: A Concise Handbook for Media Writers and Editors" by Brooks, Pinson and Gaddy Wilson
- Copyeditor's Handbook by Amy Einsohn
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers Renni Browne and Dave King(HarperPerennialWrite Away by Elizabeth George
- Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maas
- The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maas
- Plot and Structure by Jim Bell
- Revision and Self-Editing by Jim Bell
- Getting Into Character by Brandilyn Collins
- The First Five Pages by Noel Lukeman
- Stein on Writing by Sol Stein
- Insights on the Writing Life by Jerry Jenkins
- The Christian Writers Market Guide by Jerry Jenkins
- The Writers Digest Shop
- Writing at Carson Newman
While Flood Manuscripts offers these publications and sites as being useful to some writers, their recommendations and methods do not necessarily concur with the opinions of our assessors.
Independent Publishing Promo Resources
- Australian Literary Management
- Barbara Mobbs 9363 5323
- The Book Doctor
- Callaghan Literary Management 9571 1150
- Curtis Brown (Australia)
- Drummond Agency 5427 3664
- Golvan Arts Management
- JBD Literary Agency
- Jenny Darling & Associates
- Margaret Gee Literary Agency
- The Naher Agency
- The Mary Cunnane Agency
- Rick Raftos Management 9281 9622
Writing Links and Blogs
Tom's music links
Copyright and intellectual property is asserted on all materials on this site.
Made in Australia. Copyright © 2006-2014
Tom Flood ABN 15 324 059 260
Image by Zoe Fletcher